At CDU, we want you to have reliable access to all University services. To that end, we have minimum, recommended specifications for the computer you will use to pursue studies with us.
It is the responsibility of the student to secure and maintain access to required technology resources, including a broadband internet connection, when taking CDU online courses. Students enrolling in online courses should have a basic working knowledge of computers, internet use, and word processing.
As some online courses may require students to install program files or use exam-proctoring software, the exclusive use of Chromebooks, tablets, and/or smartphones is not supported for online courses. Students registering for an online course need to ensure they have consistent and reliable access to either a Mac or Windows desktop or laptop.
If you have an older computer, you may wish to consider upgrading it to ensure your computer is suitable for coursework over several years.
Note: Some programs will have very specific computer specification guidelines that you must follow.
Minimum desktop or laptop recommended specifications:
- Operating System: Windows 10 or higher or Mac OS 10.15 Catalina or higher.
- Portability: Laptops (as opposed to desktop computers) strongly recommended
- Memory: Minimum of 8GB RAM (16GB recommended)
- Processor Speed: Minimum of Intel Core i5 or equivalent
- Hard Drive: 256 GB or larger Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Wireless: Any card that supports Dual-Band (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) Wireless 802.11ac
- Webcam/Microphone: Built-in webcams/microphones
- Broadband Internet connection: Minimum 25mbps download and upload speed. Satellite and dial up connections are not supported
- Browser: The most recent release of Google Chrome (recommended), Microsoft Edge, Firefox or Safari
- Media Player: A media player such as Windows Media Player for courses with audio/video components
- Printer: Highly recommended
- Microsoft Office Suite – Microsoft 365 (online) is available for CDU students. Use your cdu.edu address to register to use this free service.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader