The Catechetical Coordinator Certificate is an undergraduate academic certificate program for Church leaders, employees, and catechists who desire a comprehensive certification in Catholic teachings and theology and practical ways to teach these principles.
Upon completion of this degree, students may apply their credits toward a bachelor’s degree in theology at CDU or at one of our partner institutions, including Belmont Abbey College and Mount St. Mary’s University.
- 18 Credits
Program Time Limit: 3 years
- Submit program application, $25 application fee
- Send official transcript from high school, GED, or most recent undergraduate institution attended.
The Catechetical Coordinator Certificate is intended to provide students with the ability to:
- Articulate the fundamental doctrines of faith and morals of the Catholic Church, using the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Sacred Scripture, and Sacred Tradition.
- Explain the Holy Bible as a unified story, with the New Testament anticipated by the Old, and the Old Testament fulfilled in the New.
- Explore the nature, mission, and purpose of catechesis, with emphasis on biblical catechesis, development of doctrinal lesson planning, and the principles, tasks, and methods that the Church promotes.
For descriptions of required courses, please consult the online course catalog.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|THEO 304||Foundations of Catholicism||3|
|SCRPT 330||Introduction to Scripture and Salvation History||3|
|THEO 332||Jesus Christ: God, Man, and Savior||3|
|THEO 353||Sacraments: Masterworks of God||3|
|THEO 468||Principles of Moral Theology||3|
|RELED 432||General Catechetics for the New Evangelization||3|
THE CDU ADVANTAGE
In a 2016 survey of CDU graduate students, 100% reported that they had achieved their learning goals.
- Flexibility to study where and when you choose
- Authentic Catholic teaching
- A global Catholic community
- Knowledgeable and accessible faculty
- Engaging online courses with discussion forums
- Mobile app for study on the go
- Online library staffed by a theological librarian
- 24/7 technical support
The Undergraduate Catechetical Coordinator Certificate program is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized as a national accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education and is a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. The university is certified as a degree-granting institution by the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission and the West Virginia Community and Technical College System.